Police Investigating Sexual Assault on a Child
The #Calgary Police Service is investigating after a child reported being sexually assaulted by a stranger in the community of Cedarbrae.
Around 8:50 a.m., on Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2019, an 11-year-old girl was walking to school with her mother near the intersection of Cedarwood Rise and Oakfield Drive S.W. A man approached the girl from behind, touched her sexually and then ran away.
Police officers circulated the area looking for the suspect but were not able to locate the man.
The man is described as in his late teens or early 20s, approximately 5’4″ tall, with a slim build and brown complexion. He was wearing a black hoodie, black sweat pants and grey shoes. The suspect may have arrived and left the area in a silver SUV.
This incident is not believed to be connected to recent indecent acts in the city’s southeast, but police are still encouraging parents to be vigilant with their children as minors have been the target in a few of these incidents.
Parents are always encouraged to follow these tips when your child is out in public:
• Watch for individuals hanging around places where children frequent who are not with any particular child.
• Accompany young children to school or other places they are going so that they are not alone.
• Supervise young children when they are outside playing so you can see if anyone is interacting with them inappropriately.
• Teach older children to have a buddy with them when they are going somewhere.
• Talk to children about going to safe strangers if an adult makes them feel uncomfortable, such as a teacher, transit driver, police officer or group of people in a public place like a restaurant.
• Teach your child to trust their instincts and run away from people who make them feel unsafe.
• Tell your child that they should resist, yell or make noise if a person they meet makes them feel unsafe or if a stranger touches them inappropriately.
The investigation into this incident continues and anyone with information is asked to call the Calgary Police Service non-emergency number at 403-266-1234. Tips can also be submitted anonymously to Crime Stoppers through any of the following methods:
APP: “P3 Tips” app available through the Apple App or Google Play Store.