Surrey RCMP is advising the public of a suspicious person investigation after a man in a car approached a child who was waiting outside of a school in Surrey.
At approximately 1:00 pm on May 14, 2018, a man in a car drove up to the child, who was in front of Frost Road Elementary School in the 8600 block of 162 Street, and tried to convince them to get in his car. The child did not enter the vehicle and ran to a safe location.
The suspect is described as a South Asian male, in his 40’s or younger in age, with a trimmed beard which had grey patches, and wearing a blue turban with orange underneath.
The suspect vehicle is described as a grey sedan with tinted windows and a messy interior.
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact the Surrey RCMP at 604-599-0502, or Crime Stoppers, if they wish to remain anonymous, at 1-800-222-8477 or www.solvecrime.ca.
The incident serves as an opportunity to remind children and youth of personal safety precautions:
- Don’t take short cuts. Use main routes… avoid lanes, forested or secluded areas.
- Walk with friends.
- Tell someone where you are going and when you will be back.
- Phone home when leaving a friend’s house and say when you will be home.
- Don’t assist strangers.
- Trust your instincts and your feelings.
- Phone if you are going to be delayed, or if your plans change.